IE 11 and Edge issues

I’m hitting a wall with these browsers in a couple different ways on my private instance.

Edge: When running a script the browser wants me to download an app to run the script. I’ve seen this on the Dulles location as well as my own private instance. I’ve run out of ideas and can’t find any related threads or documents that reference this. I’ve yet to get any scripts working with edge.

IE11: One of the pages I’m working on has a pretty terrible load time, about 5 seconds. The test resolves while the page is still loading (it’s blank until finished) and reports a time of <2sec with a final render of just a white page. Any end condition I put in causes the test to halt and wait for timeout. These same tests work in the other browsers without issue. It seems to be related to the poor performance, which I’m trying to quantify, and can’t find a working end condition.

I would try this with some of the public test locations but the pages are currently not accessible outside of our private network.

I’ve run similar scripts on other pages on my private instance without issue so I know the setup works in general.

I have wpt 3.0, the browsers should all be 32bit and I’ve followed the other setup steps.

I am also having this issue with Edge. When I run a simple test just using the Website URL bar it appears to work fine. But when I put in a script that consists of:

setHeader :

The wptdriver sits there are “checking for work” for a long long time, then finally brings up the Edge browser and gives me the “I need an app to run this script” prompt. Still playing with it a bit, but I haven’t found a solution yet.

Could you please help me to setup private tests for edge? Do we need to include anything in locations.ini for edge browser? Please help

Hmm, I don’t remember having a particularly hard time getting this running. I set up my agents a while ago, and they’re now have some heavy modifications.

Can you guys log into the agent and try running the python script directly?
Here’s what it looked like from my old notes:

import subprocess["c:\\Python27\\python.exe", "c:\\agent\\webdriver\\", "-v", "-t", "c:\\testdata\\test.json", "-r", "c:\\agent\\wptrecorder.exe"])

I think test.json is a testinfo.json file from a results folder.

I am able to run this though it doesn’t seem to actually follow the script. The setDNS wasn’t working and the page wouldn’t load. It may have had to do with the invalid SSL Cert so I tried something different.

I changed this to a simple “navigate” script and it did fire it up and follow the script. However, it was extremely slow (took about a minute until it did the navigate). Running the script directly, even though the page loaded, I get this error:

TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

So, can I run the script manually? Yes. But there seems problem with that as well.

However, looking in the windows event viewer I now notice that there’s row after row of wptrecord.exe application errors and wptrecord.exe APPCRASH logs. More to dig into:

Faulting application start time: 0x01d287bf8ee07b65
Faulting application path: C:\agent\wptRecord.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Just had to enable edge on a couple of Agent VMs that didn’t have it, and I needed to install some other python packages to get it running, but it was fine after that.

Here’s what I added:

C:\Python27\Scripts\pip.exe install selenium
C:\Python27\Scripts\pip.exe install pypiwin32


Also remembered that I had to add the wpa folder (whichever folder contains xperf.exe from windows performance toolkit) to the path.

No dice. Those packages are both installed, as well as the path to the xperf (the machine is installed following all the steps in the documentation). Not quite sure what it’s looking for. When I click “Find in store” the store comes up with “Your search for “script” had no results.” It’s not a private instance problem, even the public WPT cannot run the script with edge - i can’t see the client of course, but the results are the same.
Make a simple 1 line navigate script and it just won’t seem to work. I’m confident there’s an edge/script issue given i can’t even get that to work through Dulles.