Confused by results

I have been looking at the results and was confused by what is most important. When I make changes or rerun my load speeds don’t seem to improve much but then I noticed the score is better.

So what is the best way to evaluate - the first view/repeat view laod time or Page Speed score?

Thanks!

Page speed is just a measure provided by google of how good your web pages are created.

First view is a measure of how long it would take a user to load and see your website.

Improving your page speed score indicates that you are making your pages better, so that they should load faster.

However, if your site is still slow, remove/condense some image, or run through some apache optimisations.

Both are needed to evaluate!

Thanks Kye.

I was focusing on the first view time which seems to vary whenever I run.

But if I have a page score of 94/100 I assume that is pretty good?

Thats a good page score yes. But whats your document loaded time?

It’s FAR better to optimize for the actual load times than the scores. The scores are generated from rules that usually will improve performance but the impact for some of the rules can be so small that it’s not even measurable. If you want to share a link to a result we can look at the waterfall and tell you where your biggest bang will be.

At the end of the day, learning to interpret the waterfalls and optimize based on that is the best bet.