Copying WPT private instance AMI to another AWS region

I am probably being very dumb here, but I can’t seem to copy the AMI (ami-fcfd6194) to a different region.

We’re standing up the infrastructure for a european project at present and want to have a dedicated WPT instance in the eu-west-1 region, but I don’t seem to be able to achieve that.

I’ve taken a look at the info at https://sites.google.com/a/webpagetest.org/docs/private-instances and webpagetest/Server AMI.md at master · WPO-Foundation/webpagetest · GitHub and also Web Performance Calendar » WebPagetest Private Instances in Five Minutes and despite the note from Patrick that “As far as the AMI goes, yes, it’s only in the us-east region right now but it’s easy enough to copy to any region you’d like”, the easy copying seems to be eluding me.

I’d be grateful for a dummies guide to setting this up, as I seem to have forgotten everything I may have once known about AWS since the last time I had to use it in anger!

Many thanks,
Andy

It seems that the basic problem is that as I don’t own the AMI, I can’t copy it.

“You can copy any AMI that you own, EBS or instance store (S3) backed, and with any operating system.” - Cross Region EC2 AMI Copy | AWS News Blog

That means I can’t spin up the recommended Private Instance image anywhere other than us-east, which isn’t great when we’re trying to optimise our stack for european use.

Damn it, this computer stuff is tough! :wink: