CPU & memory footprint

Whilst I’m making an idiot of myself…the MSFast IE plugin has a really neat feature where it tracks the CPU utilisation and memory footprint as a page and its elements are downloaded, executed and rendered.

This would make a nice addition to the performance report from WebPagetest IMHO.

I’ll add it to the public to-do list. We have been tossing that idea around internally as well so it’ll probably happen sooner rather than later. We mostly want to look at it as we screen ads for publishing but there are a lot of uses. As far as presentation goes, I was probably going to add a line chart below the waterfall that displays tthe CPU and memory utilization over time on the same scale as the waterfall so you can line things up. I think the trended values will probably be a lot more valuable than just an overall CPU/Memory utilization number but I could provide that as well.

Any suggestions on how best to visualize it would be appreciated - that’s usually the hardest part. Figuring out how to collect the data is easy :slight_smile:

Thanks,

-Pat

I think a line chart at the same scale would be the most useful thing to begin with. With just a single figure for CPU & Memory I think I would find only the memory figure useful.

You could also produce a breakdown of the percentages of total CPU/Memory, for the page, taken by each element to include in the tables, and highlight the outliers.

Hi
I read your comment…
Improve your cpu usages

You can increase CPU usage for better throughput by:
Disable or tune down various steps in processing.
Turn off event type discovery.
Tune timestamps recognition.

Improve your memory usages.
Splunk will always use as much memory as is available to it to process searches. To increase Splunk’s memory usage efficiency, and prevent it from running out of memory while searching change your searches to better use memory:

Reduce unnecessary use of AND and OR conditions. Reduce the complexity of your regexes. 

Reduce the number of fields that are extracted to avoid running out of memory during a search.
Narrow the timerange of your search to avoid running out of memory during a search.
Select only core fields in your fields list so that time, and memory extraction doesn’t run.

I think you might be talking about different memory and CPU utilization. What we are measuring is the memory and CPU usage of the IE browser while it loads the web site that is being tested so you can see how resource intensive your site is.

hi there…

I’ve implemented a small application that allows a user to watch lots of videos. The application loads videos using the loadVideoById() javascript function. When playing around with the application, I noticed that the CPU usage of my browser (Firefox) increased after watching many videos. I also had the impression that the memory usage
of my firefox process increased…