Disabling cookies, improving first byte and loading speed

Hello people,

I’m trying to optimize my joomla’s website loading speed
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120717_J2_JJX/

I’ve already installed jbetelo and jotcache which made it load quite a bit faster.
I noticed it can load even faster when I put the javascript on the bottom but this causes rendering errors on one of my pages.

I would also like to minimize cookie usage and reduce its time to first byte.

I use joomla 2.5.6 together with apache 2.4.2 and php 5.4.4 and the latest mysql x64.

My server has 32 GB of ram and Intel Xeon e3-1230v2 and its running on windows server 2008 R2 sp1.

Maybe its possible to add more php and apache caching to speed up the website?

Is the CSS and JS really being generated dynamically?

Could you either cache it on the server or move to a static model instead?

The javascript is your big performance bottleneck. Looks like it’s close to 100KB compressed and at the top of the site. The reason moving it to the bottom would break a page would be if the page had any inline javascript or different javascript files and the load order changed. Can you share the link to the page that broke?

For user experience, your biggest win is going to be in getting the javascript moved out of the way (and making it as small as you can).

That indeed seems to be the case.

This is the page that broke: Game Server Hosting & Rental - Elite Game Servers

When it was broken it basically made all the items sort vertically, instead of how they are sorted now.

Hmm, there doesn’t appear to be any inline script that would cause that. It’s possible that the script was adding css to the page and since it moved below the content it was no longer getting applied.