Test Error: Unhandled exception in test run: close() called during concurrent operation on the same file object

I recently setup webpagetest and wpt-agent on google cloud instances and all was working great but now I’m getting “Test Error: Unhandled exception in test run: close() called during concurrent operation on the same file object” on all my tests. No changes were made to my setup before the error started occurring. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for what is going wrong?

1 Like

Should have been a transient issue with an agent update (maybe for 2 hours). Is it still occurring?

1 Like

It has not occurred again no, and it did last for a few hours and then mysteriously went away. What does that mean a transient issue with an agent update? I did try creating a new agent instance (with the same instance template) and it occurred with the new instance as well, until it went away.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

There was a bug introduced into the code that was caught and fixed in ~2 hours. The agents (if installed using wptagent-install) should auto-update hourly which would have both broken any auto-updating agents and also fixed them with the fix.

As far as new instances still showing the problem, the agent.sh script that runs at startup (if installed with wptagent-install) should auto-update the OS, browsers and the agent code so new instances shouldn’t see the issue even if they were created when the bug existed. If they are then it’s worth checking the startup to make sure it is running as expected or you may also end up with stale browsers and stale agent code.

1 Like

Thank you! This roughly corresponds with what I was seeing then. Thank you.
For the future, is there a place where information about agent updates is published so that we can check that first if a similar error occurs?

1 Like

Ultimate source of truth would be the commit history on the release branch of the agent (which is where they auto-update from): Commits · WPO-Foundation/wptagent · GitHub

1 Like