TTFB around 1 sec :-(

Hi!!

I’ve been trying to improve website test speed and I get quite good results except on the “TTFB”. It’s around 1sec which is a lot!

Here are the latest results:
Test results

It’s a Drupal site working with NGINX. I’ve active cache even tried to go through Cloudflare CDN but there is no way to improve the TTFB.

Could someone give some hint on how I can improve it?

Thanks in advance,

You probably need to look into any render blocking resources. That is where I would start.

A bad TTFB is typically caused by low powered hosting. Even using Cloudflare, if you’re on hosting that isn’t adequate for your website, the TTFB will be low simply because the hardware behind your host is poor.
Try moving to dedicated or cloud hosting!

@forever,

you are correct that you are using Cloudflare. BUT, Cloudflare has not properly been set up. The page that you tested is bypassed by the cache. How can you tell? When you look at the first request, on the Response tab, you’ll see a Header entry:

cf-cache-status: DYNAMIC

This means that Cloudflare is set up for your site, but this page is not cached by Cloudflare. You will not receive any of Cloudflare’s benefits. You’ll need to add a page rule which directs Cloudflare to serve your pages from its cache. You can start by watchhing the Cloudflare tutorial here: https://www.cloudflare.com/features-page-rules/#:~:text=Page%20Rules%20gives%20you%20the,is%20set%20by%20plan%20type.

First HTML component is influenced by HTTPS + Database tuning (if SQL is being used).

Provide your actual URL for testing, for best advice.

Better to test + know, than guess.

@isotropic The performance of the server where the website is actually hosted has no influence on the web site performance if a page is properly cached by Cloudflare. If Cloudflare has a copy of the webpage cached, the original server won’t be called at all to serve the page.

@dfavor Same here. If Cloudflare has a cached copy of the web page then the performace of the system that orifginally created the page has no influence over the webpage served by Cloudflare. The issue of the large TTFB is caused by a) a slow webhosting server that hosts the web page and b) a misconfiguration of Cloudflare whch prevents the page to be cached by Cloudflare.
[hr]
A good article reagring how to set up the free verison of cloudflare, which is identical to the paid version except you are limited to 3 page rules for the free verion, is located here: https://scatteredcode.net/building-a-fast-and-secure-blog-part-3/

First of all,

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I finally find out what was preventing the cache to work as expected. It was due to a “CAPTCHA” module on the registration form. This form is present in all the pages, so no page at all was cached, causing Cloudflare to show the “DYNAMIC” cache. Configuration was correct on Cloudflare side, but Drupal was preventing to fully cache the page due to the CAPTCHA.

This are the new results