Due to the latest announcement from Google that they will switch their search for logged in users to https, I thought I’d run some tests http vs. https. To be extra friendly I ran them on Chrome, but it looks like there is some issue with Chrome and https:
Chrome HTTP: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111019_A3_1Y5AR/
Chrome HTTPS: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111019_AK_1Y5DX/
Then I double checked with IE9 - all fine here:
IE9 HTTP: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111019_Z8_1Y5CQ/
IE9 HTTPS: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111019_F8_1Y5B9/
When studying the results, I also noticed that according to the waterfall and connection view of the average run in IE9 HTTP only 5 out of 7 connections to encrypted.google.com did the Initial Connection and SSL Negotiation.