Feedback Request

Hi Pat,

We just deployed a new release of the sawbuck.com front page. Now its time to go back and optimize :slight_smile:

I ran a set of 10 tests:
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100720_1M7Q/

If you have some time, I would love to hear your feedback on where to focus to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks & hope all is well!
Lou

Hey Lou, long time no chat. Looks like you have quite a bit of room for improvement :slight_smile:

• Compress your base page and javascript. It looks like the CSS is being gzipped but that’s all. This should be an easy config change on the server (not sure how to do it on IIS - apache is trivial) and will save ~350KB from the page load.

• Start versioning your files (css, js, images) and get long expiration times on them. The repeat views will get 75+% faster.

• Merge your css files together into a single (or at least fewer) files. This will give a pretty big user win as they are all in the head and will cause the page to display faster.

• Merge the javascript libraries together as much as possible.

• Looks like you have a TON of images that can be sprited. You have one small sprite currently but a lot of room for improvement

All in all you should easily be able to cut the load time of the page in half (if not better) but it will take a bit of work to get there.

-Pat

Thanks Pat! I appreciate your time & expertise. I’ll let you know when we deploy some of these changes!

Lou