Hi, I just setup my private instance. When I test intuit.com, I found out the result for my IE9 and FF is matching the webpagetest.org result, where the repeat view is much faster than the first view.
But for IE8 and IE7, the repeat view result is almost same as the first view result. I wonder is there any setting I need to adjust either on the browser or on the tool itself? So that my private instance has matching result in comparison to the Webpagetest.org?
I just noticed the same thing while testing http://www.w3.org/ on webpagetest.org, running as IE8. (Repeat view takes about the same time as first view.) Running it as Firefox gives the expected results (most resources are cached)
Firefox implements heuristic resource caching when Expires headers are not present while IE does an if-modified-since check for each of them (all those yellow-highlighted requests in the repeat view waterfall).
Not sure if your site looks like the w3c.org one but if so you just need to make sure you have proper caching headers on the static resources.
I am testing intuit.com, I tried on webpagetest.org, the IE7 come up with 2second shorter result in repeat view vs first view. But in my private instance, the IE7 is not doing it. Is there any log file I can attach to help to debug this?
In settings.ini if you have the “publishTo” setting configured you should have a link at the top-right of the test results that will let you publish tests from your private instance to the public WebPagetest so you can share internal tests with people if you need to.
If you zip up the directory for the test result for one of the tests I can load it manually and take a look. Otherwise I’m about to look at the publish code anyway so it may be better to just wait a couple of hours.
ok, you should be able to publish now. The current publish code you have on your system will publish all of the test data but not video frames (not really an issue for this case). The fix was on the server so you shouldn’t have to do anything.
Yesterday I upgraded the machine to IE8, then downgraded back to IE7, and somehow, the test were ran successfully this morning, with faster repeat view result in compare to the first view. I am not sure what has changed.