Getting N/A for Compress Imaged and Progressive JPEGs even though I am using both?

I am incorporating some caching and compressing lines into the htaccess of a few sites to improve their webpagetest results. However on any site I place my htaccess code the two items “compress images” and “progressive jpegs” disappear and are replaced with one N/A square.

Any help with how to actually get an A on these two items would be appreciated (the idea is to show the test results to clients).

Sample tests:

Without caching code:

With caching code:

Without caching code:

With caching code:

For first time byte we will simply recommend changing hosts from a shared hosting to a vps or dedicated, but other items we would really like to be able to show A’s.

Thanks for any information or help on this.

Edit - Here is the code I am putting into the htaccess if that helps any:


Enable keep-alive

Header set Connection keep-alive

Compress text, html, javascript, css, xml:

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/jpg
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/jpeg
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/gif
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/png

Or, compress certain file types by extension:

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE


AddType text/javascript .js

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault “access plus 1 seconds”
ExpiresByType image/x-icon “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType image/jpeg “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType image/png “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType image/gif “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType text/css “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType text/javascript “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript “access plus 2692000 seconds”
ExpiresByType text/html “access plus 600 seconds”
ExpiresByType application/xhtml+xml “access plus 600 seconds”

Header set Cache-Control “max-age=2692000, public”
Header set Cache-Control “max-age=600, private, must-revalidate”

Header unset ETag
Header unset Last-Modified

Looking at the headers there’s a chance that WebPagetest doesn’t like processing gzipped images (something you should probably not be doing anyway).

I see, thank you for taking a look at it.

I removed all the lines for images from both deflate and expires by type and it is still doing it

However I also ran a test for itself and it turns out they get the same thing as well

So at least whatever it is that’s happening there is not necessarily wrong. The site is quite noticeably faster to load since I put in the code and followed the advice on the tests.

Maybe I will just give the clients a flat benchmark comparing page load speeds before and after and call it a day.

Looks like a bug that I need to look into - ran out of time today and I’m out tomorrow but I should be able to take a crack at it Wednesday.