Pat, your suggestions, ideas, and help, are very much appreciated. I have removed the external css file, and placed it inline. I did a few comparison tests. I have mixed feelings about the results, and I will have to test it more at a later time to decide how to proceed.
I have tested in two of your test centers, the nearby Dulles, VA, and the far away Wellington, New Zealand.
In the nearby Dulles, VA, the Start Render time has clearly improved from about 480 ms down to about 310 ms! The overall load time has not changed much. The following tests show about 50 ms improvement, but the load time does vary, and I would have to perform many more tests to conclude if it’s an improvement or not.
In the far away Wellington, New Zealand, the Start Render Before/After times are about the same (1.1 sec), and Load Time actually seems a bit worse (by about 100 ms, 1.6 sec vs 1.7 sec).
For the time being I’m leaving this feature disabled, but I will play will it still at a later time.
Here are links to test results (10 tests per page):
Wellington, New Zealand