Longer Load Time = better First Byte Time??

First of all this is great forum, really helped me out optimizing my joomla site…

Now i’m confused with the First Time byte. I’m using CloudFlare Free so CDN is only enabled when there is www. on my domain. i.e. www.mydomain.com vs mydomain.com

So i compared both today,

first without CDN (no www)

Now on Cloudflare (with www)

Both tested from: Singapore - IE8 - DSL
I’m hosting with WebHostingBuzz, web server located in USA, Atlanta, GA.

Tested several time and results were consistent.

I’ve tested MaxCDN with CloudFlare does not make much diff, maybe because MaxCDN doesn’t have a POP in Singapore.

I’ll be testing Amazon CloudFront soon.

Update, tested with Amazon Cloudfront not much difference…

Guess best option running Cloudflare on its own is the best, maybe i’ll try the CloudFlare’s Pro plan see if it makes a difference.

Hi,

There’s a pretty good explanation of the Time to First Byte issue here using CloudFlare: http://www.webpagetest.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=921

Thanks damon, i also realized that using other CDN together with cloud flare does not make much diff. So i’m sticking with just using CloudFlare

[quote=“cyben76, post:4, topic:7573”]

Thanks damon, i also realized that using other CDN together with cloud flare does not make much diff. So i’m sticking with just using CloudFlare

Glad to help. It probably depends on what the other CDN is doing.

Note: We are adding a bunch of new datacenters this year:) Things will only get faster everywhere.

[quote=“damoncloudflare, post:5, topic:7573”]

Did a side by side visual comparison on my site, https://webhostsg.net

Wished CloudFlare had more data centers in Singapore, i’m seeing most of the scripts downloaded are from CloudFlare Europe when i do test from the Singapore server.

[quote=“cyben76, post:6, topic:7573”]

Hi,

Are you basing the download off of the IP? You actually can’t do this because we’re using Anycast IPs and our IPs are actually broadcast from every datacenter.

Note: Are you signing up for CloudFlare to offer CloudFlare to your clients? You actually might want to look at becoming a hosting partner, if you are.