WebPageTest 3.0

WebPageTest 3.0 is now available: Release WebPageTest 3.0 · WPO-Foundation/webpagetest · GitHub

It has been about a year since the last official release so there have been quite a few big changes.

Thank you Pat for the WebPageTest 3.0 release. I am currently using version 2.18 and would like to upgrade to 3.0. I am really excited about it. However, I have couple of questions and I hope will you be able to provide information about it.

1. Do we need to make an entry in wptdriver.ini for MicrosoftEdge like other browsers? The sample ini file does not have an entry.
  2. When enabling the traffic shaping on Windows 10 agent, do we need to install/configure WinShaper? Or it is a part of library and automatically get called when some traffic shapping configuration is selected? (Installation guild does not talk about it)
  3. New agent launches Google Chrome from “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe” even when the path to chrome exe is provided as “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”. Is this expected?

Thanks in advance

1 - No entry needed for Microsoft Edge (though you do need it in locations.ini on the server). The code looks for the Microsoft Edge browser string directly and kicks off the dedicated agent code when it sees it.

2 - No config needed for winshaper. It has been included with the agents for a while (you should see a shaper/x64 and shaper/x86 directory) and wptdriver will install the driver automatically when started on win 8.1 or later (even for existing dummynet installs).

3 - It’s expected. The agent has been doing that for a few Chrome releases now (probably 6+ months at this point). It creates a directory symlink and is an ugly hack to get around some Chrome logic where they will only load extensions from the store on stable releases.

First of All I would like to thank Patrick for the tremendous effort to role out 3.0. It has lot of new features with winshaper.

Right now I am facing issue with the server where it is not able to display the results in the history for the earlier executed results which is very useful as per our need.

If any one can help in this matter, I appreciate it.

Regards,
Atul Dadhich

I’ve been running into a consistent issue both with private instance and public hosts when running scripts with edge. The edge browser looks for an app to run the script which breaks any script I run, a popup takes over the page. I started with 3.0 and got chrome/ie/ff working with scripts but this is still happening exclusively with edge.

I can’t find any documentation (other than what I’ve already followed in the current docs) or posts about this. Not sure what I’m missing.

On average, about how long does it take to upgrade from 2.19 to 3.0?

In the typical case it is just a few minutes. The safest flow looks something like this:

• Stop the web server
  • Backup everything except for the results directory
  • Copy the www directory from the zip over the existing directory on the server
  • Start the web server
  • Make sure everything still works

The agents will automatically update themselves from the server and the releases don’t overwite any configs so it’s just a drop-in replacement.