Where to set parameters?

Hi,

I’ve setup a private WPT server and have an EC2 test agent running using this AMI: IE9/Chrome/Firefox - ami-f97029bc : 314854558937/wpt-IE9.

I’ve set the locations.ini file on the server based on the EC2 sample and that appears to be working alright, I have a location and browsers to choose form on the server. The one piece of the puzzle I am missing is where I set config so that the two machines know to talk to each other.

Going through the instructions, I know I need to set the parameters below, but I am not sure where I need to set them.

These are the parameters I am referring to:
Parameters

wpt_server - the web server where WebPagetest is running (required)
wpt_location - The location name to use (optional - if not specified it will be built from the region and browser - ec2-us-east-IE8 for example)
wpt_key - secret key for the specified location (optional)
wpt_threads - number of simultaneous browsers to run (optional, defaults to 1 - multiple threads does not work with traffic shaping)
wpt_timeout - timeout setting for each test in seconds (optional, defaults to 60)
wpt_reboot_interval - reboot every X minutes (optional, defaults to 720)
wpt_defrag_interval - defrag the hard drive every X days (optional, defaults to disabled - 0)

Thanks for any help!

Mark.

you pass them in as “user data” when you request the EC2 instances - you don’t have to do anything to the agents themselves.

I added some more language to the docs as well as a screen shot to hopefully make it clearer: https://sites.google.com/a/webpagetest.org/docs/private-instances?pli=1#TOC-Example-User-Data-string

Thanks,

-Pat

Hey Pat,

Thanks for that I can see exactly what I need to do. Had no chance of finding the answer on the agent because I stuffed up before I even booted it.

Really appreciate your help!

Mark.

Hi,

I’m setting up my first instance. In the user data field do I enter all this data (from the locations.ini file): wpt_server=www.yourserver.com wpt_key=SecretKey wpt_location=US_East_IE7 browser=IE 7 latency=0 label=“US East (Virginia) - IE7” key=SecretKey

And how do I add the: browser=Chrome,Firefox
latency=0
label=“US East (Virginia)”
key=SecretKey"
bit? Does this need to be an different launch ec2 instance?