AMI with IE 10

Because of automatic upgrades, our IE 9 users have dropped well below IE 11, 10, and 8. Is there an AMI on EC2 that has a version of IE above 9? We are using the ones from the docs:

https://sites.google.com/a/webpagetest.org/docs/private-instances#TOC-AMI-Images

Alternatively, can we upgrade IE on these machines and have it work?

Unfortunately I’ve hit a wall with the AMI’s and their network drivers.

The current AMI’s run on server 2003 which doesn’t support anything > IE 9

The new OS’s come with a paravirtual net driver that doesn’t work with dummynet and as soon as dummynet is installed they become unreachable (making it effectively impossible to debug). I haven’t given up entirely but it’s probably going to require a different driver (which I haven’t found), a different way to do the traffic shaping or an updated/fixed dummynet.

The guys at Radware managed to track down Server 2008 R2 AMI’s that had the old network drivers so we’re back in business. IE 10 and 11 AMI’s are now available in all of the locations: https://sites.google.com/a/webpagetest.org/docs/private-instances#TOC-AMI-Images

There are still a few bugs on the measurement side with IE 11 that I hope to get fixed today but the AMI’s themselves won’t change.

Nice, thanks! We’ll upgrade in the near future.

Are these available yet? We can’t find these AMI’s in us-east or us-west.

The AMI ID’s are all listed here: https://sites.google.com/a/webpagetest.org/docs/private-instances#TOC-AMI-Images and should all be public. If you can’t get to one of them on AWS let me know which region and AMI ID and I’ll take a look.

I can’t find any of the ones listed for Virginia. I found a couple in CA that we’ll try using. Thanks!

Sorry about that, looks like it’s been an ongoing issue with their search for the better part of a year: Forums

If you go through this flow it appears to work:

• Instances → Launch Instance
  • Select “Community AMIs”
  • Check Operating System → Windows
  • Put the AMI ID in the search box and hit enter

For spot instances:

• Spot Requests → Request Spot Instances

It should also work if you use the API to launch the instances.

I’m not sure how to contribute documentations. Putting it here incase it’s helpful to the next person coming across this.

First, grab an IE10/11 AMI. I will be using an IE11 instance. https://sites.google.com/a/webpagetest.org/docs/private-instances#TOC-AMI-Images

If you have problems finding the AMIs, try these steps:

[quote]If you go through this flow it appears to work:

• Instances → Launch Instance

For spot instances:

• Spot Requests → Request Spot Instances
  • Put the AMI ID in the search box and hit enter[/quote]

Be sure to setup the user-data per the specification. This will suffice:

wpt_server=<ip of your wpt server> wpt_location=<name of instance>

My agent is called: wpt-agent

Edit the locations.ini on your server to add this new browser agent. IE10/11 uses wptdriver and should be configured like Firefox, Chrome has been.

[locations]
1=US_E

[US_E]
1=wpt-agent_wptdriver
label="US East IE11"

[wpt-agent_wptdriver]
browser=Chrome,Firefox,IE 11

Hi Patrick,

Been searching for the new 2014 AMIs in US East

IE9/Chrome/Firefox/Safari (2014, wptdriver only) - ami-6720260e
IE10/Chrome/Firefox/Safari (2014, wptdriver only) - ami-7720261e
IE11/Chrome/Firefox/Safari (2014, wptdriver only) - ami-4f202626

We’ve been able to find the IE11 AMI but not the IE10 or the IE9 AMIs. Have these been set back to private or has the AMI numbers been changed?

Thanks for your help

Sorry, EC2’s AMI search is somewhat busted. I just updated the docs with info on how to find them for manual launching:

• Do NOT search for the AMI in the Images->AMIs interface
  • Go to Instances->Instances (or spot instances)
  • Launch Instance
  • Check “Windows”

Okay, so I created the AMI with IE11 and the box is running, but unfortunately it isn’t checking in with IE. When I remote desktop to the box I can see Chrome start and run tests, but IE 11 never runs. On getTesters.php I see the AMI, but “IE Version” is blank. I updated my locations.ini to include IE 11 on the browser line, but still no dice. Is there something special I need to do to get the agent to check-in?

It should work out of the box. getTesters.php shows blank for IE 10/IE 11 AMIs for me as well.

Try looking at getLocations.php. You can also attempt to start a test manually through the cli with the location <location_name>_wptdriver:IE 11

Here’s my working config:

[_wptdriver]
browser=IE 11,Chrome,Firefox

So this is super interesting. The browser shows up on getLocations.php, but when I try to start a test I get the following error:

The test failed to run.
Invalid Browser Selected: IE 11

This is coming from wptdriver itself, when the _settings.SetBrowser call fails.

I rebuilt the agent (on a small instance instead of a micro) and now I see IE running tests successfully, but even in the test history for those exact tests I see the same error that I pasted above.

I’m running the latest private instance install (2.14) and the agent is version 2.14.0.170 as per getTesters.