cloudfire issue

Hi everyone, is there anyone who can help me answer a customer’s questions? I really need these questions for a customer by this Saturday. I thank you for your kind availability, I am desperate and I don’t know how.

Instructions for each question:

● Assume you have access to the customer’s DNS and Cloudflare settings

● Type your response as if you are responding over email directly to the customer

● Include your thought process behind each response

● List any tools you would use and why

Test Questions:

1. Subject: TTFB higher with CloudFlare on for my site

I noticed that turning on CloudFlare results in a higher TTFB measure for my site. Why is my site slower with CloudFlare enabled?

1. Subject: CSS issue with HTTPS

After enabling CloudFlare SSL from my account, my site’s formatting and CSS is either missing or broken. What is causing this?

1. Subject:Upload content to CloudFlare

How do I go about uploading my content to CloudFlare now that I’m hosting my content with your service?

1. Subject: CloudFlare IPs

I started using CloudFlare about a week ago, and now I noticed in my AWStats all of my web traffic is showing that it’s coming from CloudFlare’s IPs? What gives?

1. Subject: Site down, your name servers are down

I am having trouble reaching my website http://example.com/ from different networks. Are your nameservers working properly?

1. Subject: Why is my site coming from California?!

My website is hosted in London, but looking at your IPs it shows that you are serving my website from California. Can that be right? Why is that? I thought you were supposed to serve my website from some place close to me?

1. Subject: Forbidden error

My website is showing a 403 forbidden error. Please fix this.

1. Subject: CloudFlare Nameservers

How are CloudFlare’s nameservers different than the DNS provided by Google DNS or OpenDNS? Can I delegate to CloudFlare nameservers while still using my host’s DNS?

1. Subject: Content not Being Cached

After activating CloudFlare on my site, I am seeing that resources on my pages are not being cached:

curl -svo /dev/null roskolniv.us

GET / HTTP/1.1

User-Agent: curl/7.40.0

Host: roskolniv.us

Accept: /

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK

< Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 03:03:59 GMT

< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

< Transfer-Encoding: chunked

< Connection: keep-alive

< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0

< Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=10

< X-Powered-By: Express

< Server: cloudflare-nginx

< CF-RAY: 1fa4b922fef517a4-SIN

<

{ [3507 bytes data]

Why is CloudFlare’s caching not working on my site?

1. Subject: Website is loading slow

My website has been loading slowly the past several days. I’ve seen slowness in Chrome and Firefox. Here is an MTR I ran from my location to my site with CloudFlare enabled:

mtr -rwc 30 roskolniv.us

Start: Mon Feb 2 14:20:02 2015

HOST: beaker.local Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev

1.|-- 10.25.73.1 0.0% 30 6.4 10.0 4.0 82.5 14.3

2.|-- 108.162.209.1 0.0% 30 23.4 9.6 4.5 23.4 5.2

3.|-- xe-0-4-0-7.r05.plalca01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net 10.0% 30 12.0 12.7 5.5 116.9 19.9

4.|-- ae-15.r01.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net 10.0% 30 10.6 111.5 16.7 133.1 5.5

5.|-- xe-0-1-0-16.r01.snjsca04.us.ce.gin.ntt.net 0.0% 30 7.8 22.3 6.4 420.5 75.2

6.|-- 198.41.186.76 0.0% 30 9.3 24.3 6.6 252.1 53.8

What’s going on? Is there an issue with my code, settings, and/or my server?

1. Subject: TTFB higher with CloudFlare on for my site

I noticed that turning on CloudFlare results in a higher TTFB measure for my site. Why is my site slower with CloudFlare enabled?

Because, generally CloudFlare is always slower than native sites.

You’ve just proved this by testing.

If more people tested this, they’d find many problems with CloudFlare…

Different problems at different times…

1. Subject: CSS issue with HTTPS

After enabling CloudFlare SSL from my account, my site’s formatting and CSS is either missing or broken. What is causing this?

No clue.

You’ll have to provide your real site name, as roskolniv.us has no public IP resolution.

1. Subject:Upload content to CloudFlare

How do I go about uploading my content to CloudFlare now that I’m hosting my content with your service?

You can’t.

CloudFlare doesn’t provide any upload facility.

1. Subject: CloudFlare IPs

I started using CloudFlare about a week ago, and now I noticed in my AWStats all of my web traffic is showing that it’s coming from CloudFlare’s IPs? What gives?

That’s because…

All your traffic is now coming from CloudFlare.

Traffic arrives at CloudFlare, then passes through to your site.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170786-Restoring-original-visitor-IPs-Logging-visitor-IP-addresses-with-mod-cloudflare- use to fix this.

It’s no longer supported.

You’ll have to search CloudFlare to see if there’s an alternative now.

1. Subject: Site down, your name servers are down

I am having trouble reaching my website http://example.com/ from different networks. Are your nameservers working properly?

dig +short roskolniv.us ns

Shows no NS records defined for your domain, so you must fix this before anything else will work.

You’ll set your NS records to the 2x servers CloudFlare directs you to use.

1. Subject: Why is my site coming from California?!

My website is hosted in London, but looking at your IPs it shows that you are serving my website from California. Can that be right? Why is that? I thought you were supposed to serve my website from some place close to me?

The CloudFlare machine passing traffic to your site might live in California or Germany.

Where ever this machine lives, is where all your traffic will arrive from.

1. Subject: Forbidden error

My website is showing a 403 forbidden error. Please fix this.

You’ll fix this on your server.

1. Subject: CloudFlare Nameservers

How are CloudFlare’s nameservers different than the DNS provided by Google DNS or OpenDNS? Can I delegate to CloudFlare nameservers while still using my host’s DNS?

No.

You either use CloudFlare via their NS records or not.

1. Subject: Content not Being Cached

After activating CloudFlare on my site, I am seeing that resources on my pages are not being cached:

No clue, till you get DNS working, so your site can be tested.

1. Why is CloudFlare’s caching not working on my site?

Fix DNS first, then retest everything.

1. Subject: Website is loading slow

My website has been loading slowly the past several days. I’ve seen slowness in Chrome and Firefox. Here is an MTR I ran from my location to my site with CloudFlare enabled:

What’s going on? Is there an issue with my code, settings, and/or my server?

Fix your DNS first, then retest everything.