Repeat View Yellow and F on First byte time

Hello

Can anyone explain what the Repeat View Yellow lines mean, if I should be concerned about them, what can be done to fix the problem

And

I’m using a CSS and Java caching scrript in the backend for more speed and sincegot this F on ‘First byte time’. How can this be fixed?

Thanks
Graham
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110628_QX_Y8WE/

They are in the cache and if you set up caching properly they wouldn’t need to be downloaded at all. Set all jpg’s to have a week long cache life

The new FTB is still in progress, but that is still to long to load a page.

You might want to work on optimising your CMS, or else caching the HTML pages after they have been made to serve them. There doesn’t look like theres any changing parts so this shouldn’t cause you any problems.

Also, to improve your page speed time, minify your javascript and stylesheets. Theres plenty of tools that can do that for you in php and asp. But it means all your js, and css, are in one file each which cuts out all the annoying connecting and ttfb times giving you a massive page speed boost. This will reduce the start render time, which is currently MASSIVE

Thanks for the suggestions Kye

Minifying the several pluggins I have is a huge battle I’ve waged many times and lost.

What usually happens is the CSS gets messed up or the pluggin is changed (script) by the serving company that provides the pretty home pictures and info.

It’s too fickle to mess with, so I have to work around it.

The slow FBT is appearing on another website that uses the same pluggins, which never occured before, so I think the problem lies in a common element in the two sites, which have different themes and different optimizations.

I still don’t understand the purpose of the yellow lines.

The yellow lines are 304 warnings.

It means ‘Not Modified’ So you have images which you have in your cache, but you have asked the server to check them to make sure. If you set the cache up right in apache then they will go away, and your repeat time will go down. And you’ll get another A at the top instead of that C.

Looks like it’s a wordpress site. Do you have W3 Total Cache installed? It should be able to do resource versioning for you and handle browser-side caching (if configured right it should also fix the first byte time problems).

Patrick, correct a WP site, but for some reason, even with proven optimized W3 settings, it slows the site more than anything. Tried it many times over the last year.

The way I have managed to improve load times is to cache http, java and css using smartoptimizer - tricky to get working, but it makes the site quite snappy

Because many pages are dynamic and only accessed once maybe in a week, the average cache pluggin won’t work and pre-caching 20,000 pages per day isn’t a solution