TTFB - Need help!

Hi people,

I’m running all out of ideas here, been searching Google for over 3 days but it seems impossible to find a solution for my problem.

I’ve got a Wordpress website which is planned to go live around this weekend but I keep on having issues with the TTFB. Have had contact with my hosting provider and they have no clue what it could be, and I’ve tried most of the solutions suggested around on the internet. Disabled all plugins ( TTFB still around 1sec ), and once I enable the WPML ( Multilanguage plugin ) I get even bigger TTFB’s which then lie around 7 sec’s. WPML is working on a solution because more people are having similar problems, but still my TTFB with all plugins disabled should be better than 1sec.

.httacces:

[code]# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

php_value memory_limit 128M

END WordPress[/code]

Test Results

I’m running CloudFlare at the moment, but it doesn’t matter if I run it with or without cloudflare, TTFB stays the same…

So do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards Dennis

It’s probably the database performance of your hosting provider. If you aren’t already, you can install the W3 Total Cache plugin and turn on the database and object caches which will help with repeated queries.

Are you on a shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server?

[quote=“dennisseesing, post:1, topic:8662”]

I’m running CloudFlare at the moment, but it doesn’t matter if I run it with or without cloudflare, TTFB stays the same…
[/quote]Which demonstrates that CF really doesn’t do jack for you.

Please provide a link to this test site for analysis.

I don’t know if I’d go that far. It’s a tool, not a magic bullet. It can help with first byte times only if you make your base page edge-cachable, otherwise the app owner and origin host are still responsible. Otherwise it can also work as a very effective CDN but only if you’re at the point where a CDN will help.

[quote=“pmeenan, post:4, topic:8662”]

I don’t know if I’d go that far. It’s a tool, not a magic bullet. It can help with first byte times only if you make your base page edge-cachable, otherwise the app owner and origin host are still responsible. Otherwise it can also work as a very effective CDN but only if you’re at the point where a CDN will help.
[/quote]At which point, when you have optimized your site you really don’t need CF.

What you said about “magic bullet” is exactly how CF markets itself. It does you no good at all if your site is terrible, or even marginal - and if your site is optimized you don’t need it. It’s just a hoax. I used it for two years and never got TTFB decent until I dumped it and, optimized my sites.

And they tell people nothing can be done to improve TTFB and that’s demonstrably false.